domingo, 24 de enero de 2010

Madrid

When I finally got to Madrid (and my bags as well), I said goodbye to my friends from Sevilla and left baggage claim. Waiting outside I found Cristina, Raul, and Sam!!! From that point on, things really started looking up. We were staying with Raul in his apartment, eating Raul's food (when we werent going out), and riding around to see the city in Raul's car with Raul's gas money. I dont know if Ive made it clear yet, but Raul really did so much for us, and we really appreciate it (Sam and I both).

We visited with Raul's family often and went out to eat with Cristina's. Both families were so good to us and as we were with them on the days of the Three Kings, both families bought us gifts! I got an awesome scarf and a new wallet from Madrid (both things I really needed!) and Sam got two new toboggans (Sam was always wearing a toboggan, which is unusual in Madrid, and so both families thought he needed another to add to his collection). The day of the Three Kings was incredible with both families. Spanish hospitality rivals if not surpasses that of the South.

The Spanish schedule is very different, to say the least. As it turns out, Spaniards generally eat dinner at 9 or 10 at night. Then when they go out, they generally go out after midnight or later. Getting used to this and the 6 hour time difference proved difficult to say the least. The way our days worked while we were in Madrid were like this: Because it was the holiday season, most people didnt have to work instead went out at night. We would leave the house around 11 or later and eat with friends. Then we would go out to dance until 3 or later. I havent gotten to the point to where I can handle more yet, but most Spaniards stay out far later. When the clubs close at 2 or three in the states, the bars are just filling up in Spain. Some stay open until 7 or 8 in the morning. Needless to say, I have yet to see the morning in Madrid. All I know of the city I know through the evening and night hours. Im still not certain the sun comes up in Madrid at all. It doesnt help that the blinds in Spain are not nearly as ineffective as our own in the states. These mean business. They are heavy blinds that are let down on the outside by an inside pulley-like system. They block all sunlight, regardless of the time of day. So when you stay out until the late hours of the dawn, you can sleep until the late hours of the afternoon and never be the wiser.

Madrid was an incredible entrance to the country. Check out the photos on Facebook.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario